Tuesday, October 7, 2008

more infection and emergency surgery

What does that equal? A 3 night hospital stay with emergency surgery to just round off the week.

I'm just going to put in an order of the weekend... its easier.

Remember- this was supposed to be a simple operation (vericose vein) that I'd be back to work and "normal" in a few days..

Monday-Friday
Very ill with fever. On Wednesday went to surgeon told him I was sick and leg was very swollen, red and hot. I was told that that was "just normal" That night I was calling my parents to watch Emma because I couldn't hold my head up.

Thursday- went to GP and got antibiotics, and sent home to bed for the rest of the week.

Friday- John off. and He took Saturday off seeing how ill I was


Saturday: had a slight amount of dark blood oozing from the top incision. Called doc on call, told to keep it up, ice it and if it got worse, go to the ER... So, by that evening there was a lot of blood (well, at the time- I had no idea what was to come) so off we go to the ER. John tried to lighten my spirits in the er.. He'd be gross (smell wise) and then walk away to leave me with the smell. Well, he did it, and just then the girl came out to get me. That did make me laugh because he had to move me out of the stentch before the girl got there. Yes, our little one was there being naughty too.
When the ER doc came in, took one look at my leg and informed me that I was NOT going anywhere due to the huge infection I had. Forget about the little bit of blood- the infection was horrible. I was hooked up to IV's (fluids/antibiotics), lots of blood taken, and a good dose of pain meds.
After they wheeled me up to the room, I went to the bathroom and when I came out- the leg started bleeding... no- gushing blood. They called the surgical resident who came up and stitched up my incision - did I mention it was in the groin - again.

Sunday- pretty boring. More IV antibiotics, but that night, it started to gush again, through the stitches. They came and put another pressure dressing on it. ***I felt like the villiage dart board- everyone had a poke at me***. The surgical resident said that they might have to drain it, but it could be done bedside.

Monday - 5:45am, woke up in a pool of blood. Surgical resident came in, and called the vascular surgeon (whom I had already met). By 8am, I was getting prepped for emergency surgery. They had to surgically remove this giant hematoma in my leg. Now, here's the topper to my stay- well, several of them.

1) got my monthly on saturday
2) had to sit on a commode prior to surgery- because they didn't want me moving too much
3) some old volunteer walks in my room whilst I am on the piss pot, to make sure I had "all the equiptment I needed"
4) when I was wheeled back into my room, a guy from matinence chose that time to come and fix the bedside table, which held my clean undies and my tampons
5)When matinence man finally left, and I got settled snuggling with John, when another guy comes flying in asking if I'd like my room sanitized...

I tell you what- I felt a bit like the village dart board... seemed like everyone in that hospital had a poke at me.

So, now I'm home, trying to keep my let up and relax. Its easy until Emma comes home from nursery. Boy did I miss her, and john. Hospitals suck.

3 comments:

Just Me said...

Sounds like a hellish experience. Looks like you ended up staying longer than you thought, too. I was hoping when I talked to you on the phone that night, that you'd be on your way home the next morning!

Anonymous said...

aw babe!! I'm sorry! sounds like you've had a rough run. i can't beleive your surgeon didn't do any testing to make sure you didn't have an infection the first time you went in to see him. i hope you get to feeling better.

Anonymous said...

What a nightmare.

Gareth, Gaby and I are thinking about you and keeping you in our prayers.