Saturday, December 20, 2008

Being a bad blogger...

So much has/hasn't happend in the past few weeks. So, I'll try to refresh my memory.

Let me start with Gemmacat. I adopted her on her last weekend of life from the SPCA, along with Simon (I got a 2 for 1 deal) on May 1st 1999. Now, Gemma was never the friendliest cat, but she was nice. I don't know what her life was like prior to me getting her, but she was just a shy little cat. She'd come to you when she knew you and felt safe. She was porky too! In 2004, I noticed that where she used to come to John and I, she would hide and she was eating like a champ. I didn't know she had lost weight at that point. Well, she had a hyperactive thyroid. She never really did come back to her old personality, but oh well. She went from 11 pounds down to 8. This past July, she went from 8lbs to 5lbs and was having bad accidents all over the house and we had to really watch her (and we cleaned her litter twice, sometimes three, times a day). Well, this week, she was having accidents everyday, and on Thursday I saw a lot of blood in it. I took her to the vet, and she was 3 pounds. I was given the choice of letting her wither away at home or to put her to sleep. The problem with bringing her home- she could have dropped dead of a heart attack (since the over active thyroid was messing with her entire little body), or as she lost more and more weight, she would probably break a bone, or just be too weak to move and what kind of life is that? It was a fast decision. I look back and think that I should have waited for the weekend, but I couldn't do that for some reason. I was a wreck, and I have to say that my vet and his assistant (who knows me from High School, and I can't remember her to save my life- and I wasn't a popular girl either!) were great. Very compassionate people. I will have Gemma's ashes returned to me, and I will bury them in the garden.

Me- Still trying to deal with the blood levels and coumadin. My levels went way up over thanksgiving week- due to a stomach bug that hit me. Normal should be a 2 or 3, mine was up to an 8. Its better now. I'm at a 1.7 now and am working on getting them up to a 2.

Christmas- After all that has gone on, I really wanted to make Christmas special this year. You know what? I don't feel it. I guess that my husband going to work both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day doesn't help. I don't even have my little tree up.

My little monkey- she is loving life at her nursery. She's the only girl of 6 children in her class. I was worried about that at first, but now I think of it as growing up with brothers. She can definitely hold her own in that class, and has two little boyfriends. Its too cute. She's still not a big talker. She will say words to us, and at nursery, but not to anyone else. Her thumb goes straight to her mouth, and she clings to me. She's getting up there on weight, and if I were to guess, I'd guess 26 pounds. Not fat, just growing. So after awhile, its really hard to hold her.

Have you noticed how long this post is??? Well, I'm sitting here in my car dealership and have no husband or baby to take me away from this at the moment. Its early, but its nice to have this little bit of time to do this. Now, lets hope the bill for my car isn't horrible!

3 comments:

Just Me said...

You did the right thing by Gemmacat. To let her suffer any longer wouldn't have been right. It's so sad to make that final decision, even when you know it's the right one.

Hope your health is back good & strong soon. Sounds like you've been through the ringer this year.

I also hope you get a little bit of the Christmas spirit, though I totally understand how it must suck to have your hubby working those days. :(

Jody said...

Poor Gemma =(
But you did the right thing. Its just not right to let her suffer. So you did the loving thing. I'm sorry..I know you love your kittys.

Thanks for being such a good friend too. You know I have my fair share of upsets and you are always encouraging to me in so many ways.

When will it be time for cider??

Barking Mad! said...

I think you did the right thing with Gemmacat. I would have made the same decision, hard as it is.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. This has been a tough several months for you and the stress of the holidays and a sick fur baby can't have helped.

I'm totally with you on the holiday thing. I am just going through the motions for the sake of everyone else. '09 will be better...for both of us.

*hugs*

Auds