Sunday, July 27, 2008

England

I will probably be adding more to this, as Emma is ill and not sleeping all that much.
I totally forgot to post that we were going back to England for a few days (thank you frequent flyer miles and stimulus). I guess it was a nice time, so I'll start with my Good, Bad, and Ugly for the week, then fill in more as I remember it

Good:
The weather! The hottest it got in Oxford was probably 78! There were days I was actually cold.
seeing family - Emma finally got a bit friendlier to her uncles, and she always loved her brother!
Scenery in general. Lots of fresh air and places to run around (we have the grass stains to prove it!)


Bad:
smoke. cigarette that is. It never disgusted me before, but now I can't stand it.
doing too much work on that damn house. Fence needed repairing, new shower put in, and neighbors overgrown ivy needed to be cut from our roof
no shower (tub only- with hot and cold separate faucets) at my MIL's house.

Ugly:
I have found myself to hate tourists in Oxford, eventhough I am, myself, technically a tourist. It seems to me that (and I'm sure that I have been guilty of this when I was taking classes and touring there before) all manners for others have left those in tour groups. For example: walking up the street in a big mass of a group, not letting anyone get through. Also, whilst we were in a shop doing some legit shopping, this french lady (knew from her speaking) decided to go between Emma's pushchair and some luggage, instead of around her pushchair. This, of course, woke up our jet lagged baby. She then proceeded to give us, and Emma a dirty look for disturbing her shopping (or browsing) experience. Poor Emma has been knocked into by so many tourists, that I became momma bear and began just pushing through them with the push chair. I ran into some Italian ladies leg who just stopped dead in the middle of the sidewalk to take a picture of a pub sign.

Just plain funny:
We were getting some shopping at Sainsbury's, when some lady with a thick southern accent said to her husband "look honey, that little girl has the same shoes tammy has (her stride rite sneakers)" then the husband said "someone must have sent them to her", and finally the lady said "these English babies are just so cute, I bet they sound English at this age too".. huh? I just laughed. I know I looked like crap that day, but I guess I didn't look like a tourist either.

Okay- here are some random pictures of England

2:30 am... Emma still wide awake:
Photobucket

at the park:
Photobucket

on the trampoline with Uncle David:
Photobucket

You have to look closely in the red circle, but that is a green parrot (one of many that reside ,wild, near Wimbeldon)
Photobucket

Dancing queen
Photobucket

The Head of the River Pub (on the Thames)
Photobucket

And a scene from the bridge going into the center of Oxford (over the thames)
Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awsome picts!! Sounds like over all it was a good time.