Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Whats that smell????

Ever since we moved into this house, we can't seem to shake the smell of cat pee. Now, my mother had many cats over the past 30 some years and our Gemma has been known to have an accident now and again. When we came back from England, we smelled and overwhelming scent of cat pee. It was horrible. Emmas room absolutely stunk of it. It still does- to the point I have to keep her window shut at times. This really sucks since we've had a bit of a cool down the past few days and can get away without the air conditioners running! So here we were, really pissed off (no pun intended) that our cats have been pissing, and that my mom let them whilst we were away. Then something came to me... back at the townhouse I had some juniper bushes removed because they stunk of pee.. then low and behold, I discovered that the house is surrounded by boxwood and juniper bushes.. Check this out from a realestate site


http://crosslandteam.com/blog/2006/04/04/boxwood-shrub-can-stink-up-your-sale/


"We have a listing with an odor problem at the front porch. The seller assumed it was the neighbor’s cats coming around and spraying her front porch, and she’s been putting up with it for years. We’ve taken steps to mitigate the smell, but when I showed up this morning to open the home for a Keller Williams Realtor tour, it reeked at the front entry. “Darn” I thought. “Those blasted cats are back again”.
With no time to do anything about it, I made the best of it and hoped the smell would not overshadow the fact that the home is spic and span, staged well, and ready for move-in. Sure enough though, one of the agents walked in and said “pew! It smells like cat pee out there!” Another responded with, “that’s not cat odor, it’s the boxwoods”. Huh? She took me out and showed me the nice hedge that runs the length of the sidewalk leading to the entry and told me they are Boxwood shrubs and that they are known to emit an odor that is often mistaken for the urine of a male cat.
I stuck my nose down and took a good sniff and she was right, that shrub stinks! “How do you know the cats haven’t sprayed the shrub and that’s why it stinks?” I asked. She said she knows a lot about plants, and that the smell is the boxwood plant itself, not cats. A bit of internet research confirms this.



Now we know what the stench is, and John is armed with his new chainsaw. They will be the first to go!!!!




Here's the culprit.. one of 4!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is why i'm glad we dont have very much shrubery around our house!

Anonymous said...

I never ever would have guessed that a Juniper bush and Boxwoods smelled that bad, especially the Juniper!

Thanks for the heads up.

Have you gotten rid of them yet? Does it smell any better?

Christina said...

We're in the process of putting hubby's new chainsaw to use.. the boxwood is still up, because we had to take down the bushes that were blocking our A/C units.